b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:23:09 +0200

Dear Chris,

Let's leave the apologies aside. We're all learning here.

Your question was "WHY say this [the field of the Amalekite] and not refer
DIRECTLY to whoever was defeated in that particular land? Surely that would
be the same as if I said: "and Hitler invaded the lands of the Jutes, angles
and saxons"????

There are three possible answers:
1. The author of Genesis 14 did not really know who lived there in Abraham's
time - which brings the historicity of the whole section into question.

2. The author of Genesis 14 did not really care who lived there in Abraham's
time - remember, the Bible is not a work of history, but one of theology.

3. The author of Genesis 14 purposely used "Amalekites" to make a point -
what point I do not know.

Yigal