b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Cordaro <jcordaro AT intergate.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew plural
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:09:58 -0400

Can someone please elaborate on Eccl 12:1 and Isaiah 54:5. Is it true that "Creator" is plural in Eccl 12:1 and "husband" and "Maker" are plural in Is 54:5?
If so, how does one determine it is plural and how should we then understand these verses? Is it similar to a plural of majesty or are we to believe there are two Creators (or more) which is contrary to Is 44:24 which states YHWH created "alone" and by Himself?

Thanks,
John