b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:38:45 +0200

I'll have to have a look at these. The way I see it is this:
1.Even during Akhenaten's reign, his "special" views don't seem to have been
well know in Canaan. As far as I remember (please correct me if I'm wrong
here), the Canaanite vassals refer to Akhenaten as "the Sun", "the Bull" and
Horus - no references to Aten.
2. Very soon after the death of Akhenaten and his immediate successors, the
"Amarna revolution" was pretty much erased from Egyptian history, including
the abandonment of the capital at El-Amarna itself. Manetho, for instance,
does not mention the whole episode and its re-discovery in the late 19th
century was quite a surprise. So the possibility of "Atenism" having any real
influence on much later Judahite/Israelite monotheism is very slight.
Besides, it seems that "Atenism" was quite far from real monotheism.

Yigal