b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:40:55 +0100

On 16/07/2004 17:09, Yigal Levin wrote:

Excuse me Harold, but just how do you know when Abraham lived in relation to
Akhenaten?

If we are to attribute any historical value at all to the Genesis and Exodus narratives, then it is clear that Abraham lived some centuries before the Exodus, and the latest time for the Exodus suggested by anyone, as far as I know, is the reign of Rameses II. The implication is that Abraham must have predated Akhenaten.

If we are to understand Genesis and Exodus as literary constructs with no historical value, then we have to place Abraham according to the setting in which the authors place him, which, according to the dates which these authors have put in their texts, date him around 900-1000 years before David, and so long before Akhenaten.

In either case, Abraham, whether real or fictional, is presented as living long before Akhenaten.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)