b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Brian Roberts" <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:40:46 -0500

Folks:

It isn't a surprise if there are parallels between Egyptian religion and
ritual and Canaanite religion and ritual. Egypt occupied Palestine for
only about 400 years right up to the formation of Israel.

I believe we've seen it demonstrated sufficiently that the pharaohs were
considered divine. Understand there were a number of senses in which an
ancient could be divine. Jesus was divine - and this never meant he was
God!

As for Akhenaten, his religion differed from that of Amun mostly in
politics. It is actually believed that as his mother or court officials,
etc., may have been Syrian he could have gotten ideas from there. But if I
remember right, Amun was also a sun god.

In any case, both the cult of Amun and the cult of Aten held that Amun/ Aten
was the one true god, and the myriad other gods were mere manifestations of
him. Further, all peoples of all nations were bound to serve this one god
of Egypt; thus, he was in effect a universal god.

It does sound remarkably like Judaism as it began to develop. But it did
not depend on Atenakhen. In fact, one gets the idea that people in Canaan
and Palestine were barely aware of Akhenaten. To some he was invitation to
revolt, to others he was the nuisance on the throne of Egypt who never
responded to their pleas for help against the revolting Hebrews.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com