b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:02:23 -0500

Dear Peter:

Having lived in both predominently rural and predominently urban areas of the
country, I found out a lot about agriculture just watching TV, even in
university and industrial cities with well over 100,000 population but
surrounded by crops: so many advertisements were for fertilizers, tactors,
combines, insecticides and herbecides, etc. Even among those who were not
connected with agriculture, they were aware of the agriculture around them.

Now that I live in an urban area, I miss those connections with agriculture.

Was ancient Jerusalem larger than a few tens of thousands at most, many of
whom still worked their fields around the city? A writer in that era would
have had to have been pretty dense not to have cogniscence of the agriculture
around him.

Karl W. Randolph.