b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:02:50 -0500

Dear George:

Of course, you had to focus on the verse that gives me the most trouble :-)

Again, the context beyond the verse can provide clues as to how to read the
verse. Verses 8–9 mention being captured in battle, the women driven from
their houses and stripped of their finery; then verse 10 “Rise up and go,
this is not the rest, on account of impurity it was packed up (tied up to be
taken away as in despoiling) and land connected to the city vilified.”

A question I have is the meaning of MRC &#1502;&#1512;&#1509; a word +
derivitives that occures only 3 times in Tanakh, 1 Kings 2:8, Job 6:25 and
here. Tentatively I have the meaning of vilify. Does anyone have any clues to
nail down this definition?

Karl W. Randolph.