b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:18:50 -0600

On Thursday 17 June 2004 05:33, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 16/06/2004 22:04, Philip Engmann wrote:
> > For in fact there are Greek fragments from the 1st century CE,
> >
> > among the DSS, and I rather think there are some older ones. But these
> >
> > fragments are clearly different from the text now published as the LXX,
> >
> > e.g. Rahlfs' edition.
> >

> > *1. Do you have any examples?*
> >

> > Philip Engmann.
>
> I didn't have anything immediately to hand, but from a quick search came
> across http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/downloads/inductive/app1.pdf, which
>
> gives three different texts of one chapter (21 verses). Note the following:
> > The Lucianic Recension
> > LXXL differs from LXX in every verse except verse 2, a total of
> > forty-nine deviations.
>
> The Lucianic recension is not strictly an older MS. I don't have details
> to hand on the readings of the really old MSS like Papyrus Fouad, but I
> know you will find significant differences from Rahlfs' text.

The Lucianic recension as posited by textual critics was made some time
around
the 4th century CE by Lucian, an Arian scholar. While the term is tossed
about a lot, there's still no direct evidence for it beyond a couple of
oblique comments in some later patristic works (I don't have the material at
hand, but there's a good discussion of it in just about anything by Bruce
Metzger). There were a few Greek mss found among the DSS, but their textual
alignment is still a matter of question. Some are designated with the "LXX"
siglum and seem to align with one strain or another of the LXX, but for the
most part they don't have a lot that's of text-critical interest for the HB.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur