b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: phil-eng AT ighmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:33:13 -0700

On 16/06/2004 22:04, Philip Engmann wrote:

For in fact there are Greek fragments from the 1st century CE,

among the DSS, and I rather think there are some older ones. But these

fragments are clearly different from the text now published as the LXX,

e.g. Rahlfs' edition.

*1. Do you have any examples?*

Philip Engmann.

I didn't have anything immediately to hand, but from a quick search came across http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/downloads/inductive/app1.pdf, which gives three different texts of one chapter (21 verses). Note the following:

The Lucianic Recension
LXXL differs from LXX in every verse except verse 2, a total of forty-nine deviations.

The Lucianic recension is not strictly an older MS. I don't have details to hand on the readings of the really old MSS like Papyrus Fouad, but I know you will find significant differences from Rahlfs' text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)