b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis - The Real Deal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis - The Real Deal
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:12:15 +0000

Hello,

As I stated several times, it is not my intent to either attack or defend the
DH. I was concerned that the content of the DH was being caricatured. If
one wishes to dismiss the DH, go for it. However what I saw in the thread
was a gross simplification of the DH based on one book whose subject was not
the DH per se. It is easy to disprove a straw man version of the DH. The DH
is a theory (no has every found a J or E document) but one that is both very
sophisticated and complex and based on the actual text of the Pentateuch. Of
course, being sophisticated, complex, or textually based does not make it
true but it does mean that it cannot be blithely dismissed with a wave of the
hand (or a tap on the keyboard). If someone wants to attack the DH, attack
the actual DH, not a caricature of it.