b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: phil-eng AT ighmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:58:01 -0700

On 16/06/2004 14:40, Philip Engmann wrote:

(although I argue elsewhere that LXX as a whole did not exist still in

the 1st century CE)
hmmm.. One vital point is that what is called the LXX is often diffuse and
diverse and rather dubious manuscripts from 350 AD and later. A text
that could have been subject to lots of corrupt alexandrian "Christian"
scribe "smoothing" to match the NT, among other problems. And yet these
texts are discussed as if it they were used, even in Israel, 300 years
earlier ! This I believe is a primary presumption blunder of much
Scriptural
scholarship. Floyd Nolan Jones discusses it some in a book on the
web...

Is there any reference for Floyd Nolan Jones's book on the web?
Philip Engmann

Steven/Schmuel gave a reference on this list last year (https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2003-June/015406.html), in a thread on Psalm 40:6:

The Septuagint: A Critical Analysis by Floyd Nolan Jones p.45
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1157/floyd-jones.htm
http://www.floydjones.org/ebooks2.html

--
Peter Kirk