b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: VC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:36:37 -0700

On 08/06/2004 11:06, VC wrote:

Actually, Vadim, until the construction of the Aswan Dam in the 1960's,

the

Levantine coast was regularly supplied with sand and silt, washed in from
the Nile. The causeway's being filled in by sand is perfectly reasonable.

I'm not sure, but from my experience of living near the sea, this does not
seem probable. I doubt seashore increases anywhere.

There are places on the coast of England where the coast has advanced by several miles since Roman times. Also many Roman harbours on the Mediterranean e.g. at Ephesus are now several miles inland. I was recently on a piece of land about 100 yards wide which has appeared within the last five years, by natural causes although perhaps partly because of harbour works further up the coast. Around the world, when an artificial causeway is built it is common for a bank of new land to be formed, initially sand and small stones but gradually being taken over by vegetation.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)