b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The island of Tyre

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The island of Tyre
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:47:20 +0300

If Tyre was an island, so be it, although I was doubtful about it. I still
don't think that such a huge mole could be accomplished so fast as required
by Alexandrian hypothesis.
BTW, not attempting to venture into the area I don't know about, let me
recall uncertainties that geologists have about the Bahamas street and
various Japanese underwater sites, whether they are man-made or artificial.
As far as I understood from cursory acquaintance with the subject,
archeologists tend to believe such formations are artificial, while
geologists assert they are natural. Considering the colossal and seemingly
unnecessary (it was easier to build several hundred simple boats than the
mole for the attack) effort involved in the construction, I'm still
uncertain about the causeway.

But the funny thing is that we got distracted on the issue of Tyre. The
question was whether iim are islands. Then Reinier suggested that Tyre is
"i" and, if I recall correctly, that it proves application of iim to
coastline. If Tyre was an island, it is yet another argument against the
translation as coastline.

And for Isaiah, iim in all probability was something different from the
nearby Tyre, more probably a group of islands.

Best regards,

Vadim

> I thought that we might have a scoop here, if we could prove that the
> "Alexandrian mole" is a myth. So I speant a couple of hours in the
library,
> looking up fairly recent books about the archaeology and history of Tyre.
In
> all of the relevant ones, including several reports by Pierre and Patricia
> Bikai, who have been digging at Tyre for years, it is made clear that the
> geology confirms that island was, indeed connected to the coast
> artificially. The island and the immediate coast are kurkar, by the way.
The