b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:09:22 +0300

A mention in passing by Rufus, himself an author with very odd (surprisingly
simple) Latin, running against the common sense?
Water is coming up for thousands of years, not down. The causeway, if any,
would have disappeared, not widened. If this causeway is man-made, it still
won't become wide enough to deserve the name of peninsula. It's natural,
anyway, as anyone can see

Jer 25:22 is about an island if only because vs22-23 seem to imply only one
king there, like there was one king in Sidon. The place is across the sea,
whether in the middle of it or no, there is no inference; lit., in crossing.
No problem applying beavar to an island.
But even if we take it for continent, it still leaves the same puzzle: how
those remote folks threatened landlocked Jerusalem? Such military operation
was impossible in antiquity.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

Yes, a causeway. This is information which is easily obtainable. Here is
a quotation from the _Anchor Bible Dictionary_ on "Tyre."

the most ancient towns on the Phoenician coast. Tyre (M.R. 168297) is
situated about 40 km S of Sidon, and about 45 km N of Acco. In antiquity it
was an island ca. 600-750 m from the mainland (Curtius Hist. of Alex. 4.2.7),
but since the time of Alexander the Great (actually beginning in the summer
of 332 b.c.) the island has been linked with the mainland by a causeway,
which has broadened over the centuries. Thus, Tyre is now a peninsula.

Your insistance that "an island is an island is an island" only holds for
English. If you consider the passage Jer 25.22 previously mentioned you will
note that the MaLK"Y Ha)iY are said to be B.:("BeR HaYfM. B.:(BeR is always
used in reference to the other side of something such as B.:("BeR HaY.aRD."N.
It is not used for "in the midst of" which is B.:ToWK. It would seem
therefore that Jer 25.22 envisions a crossing to the other side of the sea to
reach land, not to an island in the middle of the sea.

gfsomsel

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:13:02 +0300 "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net> writes:

>Built a kilometer-long land bridge?

and