b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:33:57 -0500

Michael:

One of the problems in trying to date the development of Biblical Hebrew is
the limited corpus that is presented to us. It is too limited for us to make
a good determination.

For example, when looking at the Gezar calendar, I found the word (CD
&#1506;&#1510;&#1491; which is not found in Tanakh. From the context, it
looks like a verb, probably meaning to ret, a common term in flax growing
country, as ancient Israel was. I then ask, how many other common terms in
society never made it into Tanakh? How many terms were used in Ugaritic, but
never made it into Tanakh until a late writer, if at all? How many of the
differences that we notice are merely dialectal? We need many more examples
of writing before we can make that determination.

Karl W. Randolph.