b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: 04 Jun 2004 06:05 GMT

Excuse me David but for 5, the demonstration entirely lacks. If as you state:

> 5) A way to "test" the DH is quite simple. Take the story of Noah. Take
> the portions that use the name Elohim, pull them out, and line them up.
> Take the remaining portions, which will only have the name Yahweh in them,
> pull them out, and line them up. What you will get is two entirely complete
> but different versions of the same story. How many other stories in world
> literature can you do something like that?

this is still no demonstration that a break must run along the using of both
the names YHWH and Elohim. This meant if at all that there is redundant
material in the story and one could if at all tear the redundant material in
two separate masses. However the choice where the one formulation or other
pertains is free and has not to happen according to the usage of YHWH and
Elohim names.

Only the demonstration that these names have, whenever indeed, made a real
difference would allow to make the choice to tear along their usage.

Otherwise would also mixed stories using alternately both names make sense.

So there is nothing "demonstrated" by the DH, but just suggested to have been
demonstrated. One calls something like this in german "Taschenspielertrick".

Perhaps an other organisation of the text in two heaps of texts - not along
the usage of the divine names- is less "interesting". But leaving out other
options of creating groups of the redundancies (if they indeed are
redundancies caused by something like this and not because of the archaic
style to which redundancies are typical) is oversymplifying the case.

Best regards

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart