b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:13:31 -0500

> Sorry, Michael. I should have qualified this. What you wrote before and
again here is that if there are no discernable linguistic differences,
then the texts must have been written at one time and place. Is that
fair? And I am arguing that there is a logical fallacy here.

I gave some other possibilities but that is one that I mentioned.

And this is where I differed from you. A natural explanation for freedom
from dialectal differences is that the style of an older work is copied
by a newer author. Did you respond to this argument and reject it? I
don't remember anything.

Actually, I believe that I implied one reason for uniformity could be that
the authors were imitating an earlier style. However, I still believe that
if actual differences had developed in common usage then there would be some
evidence in later copies of the earlier texts. Sooner or later someone is
going to make a copy error because he didn't understand word that is no
longer in use. Those errors would be rare but significant.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy