b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:41:42 +0300

Perhaps, anyone would care to defend another verse:

you made his life an offering for sin

The usual translation of tasim as you made [his life an offering for sin] is
grammatically implausible since the verb we translated as brought or laid is
3f or 2m singular future tense. The soul (f.) bring something. To have
something done to the soul, other translations presuppose a masculine
personage, a man or the nation. In standard Hebrew, however, verbs with
pronoun suffixes relate to a nearby nouns, not to a presupposed object.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny