b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:43:23 -0400

Dear Vadim,
I agree that tasim is either "you" or "she" "naphsho."
You're right, there is no one addressed in the poem,
so maybe we should rule out "you."
Naphsho is often reflexive. I don't see a problem with
a person paying a ransom for his own life.
"If he sets a ransom for himself .." but then why
switch to masculine in "he will see"?
I don't know. But you have this problem however
you translate asham.
Liz