b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:19:02 +0300

Dear Liz,

Probably doesn't work.

The fellow was taken from otzer and mishpat.
I don't recall ransoming those convicted in formal trials. Bribes - perhaps.
An offer of paying fine, like in the case of Socrates? Hmmm, I'm not sure if
this would be called asham, not sure.
Guilt offering - yes; if he was sectarian, this would expiate him.
Another possible argument is poetic transposition: if we read asham nafsho,
then the proper order is, im tasim nafsho asham, which would be read, if his
soul did something
I also don't recall a tendency in Isaiah to replace man with nefesh; he
seems to distinguish.
The strongest argument against your hypothesis is meamal, which is hard
mental work: in the result of his hard mental work, he would be just fine.
So he should have performed asham, not someone do it for him.

Best regards,

Vadim