b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:47:09 -0400

Dear Vadim,
I prefer "ransom" to "guilt offering" or "offering for sin"
to avoid cultic connotations (1 Sam 6).
I, of course, don't translate with the past tense here either.

If you would make a ransom of his life.
or
If you will pay a ransom on his life he will see progeny
and have length of days, for YHWH desired that he will
succeed by his hand.
Best,
Liz