b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lee Roy Martin <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: unikom AT paco.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:31:31 -0400

Vadim,
Given your concern for the literal, if you insist on rejecting bemotav as "death" then you should translate it as "his high places," not "his altars". The word bamah means "back", or "high place". If a high place is used for worship it may include an altar or a shrine, but the Isaiah 53 text does include the words altar or house, both of which are occur in other texts along with the word bamah.
If the high place is a cultic place of burial, as it seems to be in Ezek. 4:7, then you still have the problem of the plural form= "his burial places".
In light of the parallelism of the verse, I would either translate as "his death" or "his burial", and accept the plural as intensive.
Lee R. Martin