b-hebrew - RE:[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "al cantley" <alcantley AT cebridge.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE:[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:15:29 -0400

Vadim Cherny wrote 05/15/2004:
Well, since the argument started to deviate into a messianic debate, may
I suggest to concentrate, to begin with, on a single word:
bemotav....

I advise you "up front" that I am no Hebrew scholar - am in process of
learning; also, I must provide some other context that may provide some
basis for my understanding. However, some may think my comments are
totally inappropriate for this list since I will be referencing certain
NT texts in giving my view of this issue. However, I only intend to give
context. I had been meaning to bring up a couple of the OT texts for
discussion anyway.

In Psalm 110:1, 5 it is clear that at least 2 YHWH's are mentioned in
OT Scriptures. The "lord" referred to in verse 1 at YHWH's right hand is
identified in verse 5 as YHWH also (one of the 134 emendations of the
scribes). Another instance that seems to me to imply this is Zech 12:10:
(KJV) Zechariah 12:10 and they shall look upon me whom they
have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his
only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in
bitterness for his firstborn.
It appears to me that the "me" and the "him" cannot refer to the same
person/entity; but because of my limited Hebrew understanding I request
some help.

Looking for other "witnesses" from the NT, I find several. Jesus states
in John 17 that He and the Father are "one" and that He has given the
Father's name and Words to us. In addition in John 17 He makes clear
that the Father is the invisible presence in him (Jesus) and implies
that He (Jesus) will be "in the Father" and finally that the redeemed
will be in "us" - He and the Father! Also, in Luke 4:19 He reads the
first portion of Isaiah 61:2, "to proclaim the acceptable year of the
LORD," but closes the book before completing the verse. Does it have to
be Jesus of Nazareth that proclaims "the day of vengeance of our God"
that ushers in the "harvest season" ?

Without naming specific passages, I give the following OT "types" that
must be understood to understand the past and future antitypes. There
are 2 daily sacrifices in the typical ceremonial services; there are 2
goats in the typical day of atonement services.
I believe there can be multiple fulfillments of a single prophecy and
that phrases in a single verse can be fulfilled at different times.
Therefore the plural "deaths" doesn't surprise me, although was not
aware of it until Vadim brought it up.

Blessings,
Al Cantley