b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:45:58 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 11:22 AM

> On 20/04/2004 00:05, Yigal Levin wrote:
>
> >Yes, it is an Aramaic transltation of Ps. 22. Presumably, either Jesus
> >himself, or whoever recorded what he said, was a native speaker of
Aramaic.
> >This was fairly common among first century Jews.
> >
> >Yigal

The Aramaic translation of Hebrew Eloha is Ellah. The Targum Onkelos for vs.
2 is indeed "Eli", but for vs. 3 it's "Elohi". I doubt that either Jesus or
Mark had the Targum Onkelos as we know it (since it was composed much
later), perhaps the targum that they were familliar with used Elohi for vs.
2 as well. Perhaps they were quoting from (imperfect) memory, or translating
spontaniously. Or maybe even the text of Ps. 22:2 that they were familiar
with actually said "Elohi" or "Elohai" (is there a DDS version of this
Psalm?).
As for "Elohi" becoming "Eloi", Galileans were famous for not pronouncing
their He's and Ayin's (that's how "Yehoshua'" became Yeshu). And of course,
niether sound exists in Greek, which is the language that we actually have
the qutation transcribed into.
And assuming "Markan priority", I agree that Matthew may well have been
"correcting" the text to match either the Hebrew or the Aramaic translation
that he knew.

Yigal