b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sameer Yadav <sameer_yadav2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:19:47 -0800 (PST)

Peter,

I appreciate your concern that we do not take the
existence of a few counterexamples to overthrow a
theory which otherwise explains the data very well. I
do not dispute this. Perhaps you should have looked
at my argument a bit more closely after all, because I
wasn’t advocating a “100% or nothing” account of the
data.

The examples I listed were not exhaustive and were not
intended by themselves to demonstrate that Hatav’s
theory is wrong. I was using them to make the point
that the number of counterexamples or unexplained
cases can be made greater or smaller depending upon
the theoretical account of modal semantics being
employed to identify ‘modal’ and ‘non-modal’ uses. I
just think that identifying problems with Hatav’s
characterization on this level increases the number of
counterexamples sufficiently to question whether it
really does account for 99% of the data.

Issues having to do with whether or not a
possible-worlds semantics (or any model-theoretic
semantics) is the best way of spelling out a general
semantics of modality directly impact whether we
identify certain uses in BH as modal or not and why.
There are also issues surrounding how modals function
in the semantics/pragmatics interface, which determine
how much we should attribute modality strictly to
verbal inflection at all in natural language.

So although I appreciate your warning about being
cautious to reject explanations which appear to cover
much of the data, I would also caution you from
accepting an entire theory of modal semantics in
natural language simply because it can be formed in a
neat distribution around the usage of the conjugations
in BH. I think that the relationship has to be
reciprocal, with good reasons to accept the general
semantic account independently of the way those
semantics are uniquely exhibited in one particular
language.

Sameer