b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Bibliography on "Tenses"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'A. Philip Brown II'" <pbrown AT GBS.EDU>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Bibliography on "Tenses"
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:54:22 -0500

> It would be helpful to me and perhaps to others on the list to have a
> bibliography of the key articles/monographs that explicate the various
> positions that are being advanced.

Robert Binnick has an online bibliographic resource for Hebrew Tense and
Aspect. http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~binnick/TENSE/OnHebrew.html

You are already familiar with the discussions in GKC and WO'C, but
others may not know that WO'C has a relatively recent summary and
critique of several prominent views, in chapter 29.

Other thorough overviews include:

McFall, Leslie. The Enigma of the Hebrew Verbal System: Solutions from
Ewald to the Present. Sheffield: Almond, 1982.

Cook, John A. “The Hebrew Verbal System: A Grammaticalization Approach.”
UMI 3049472. Ph.D. diss., University of Wisconsin, 2002.

The "standard" aspect view has been recently reprinted, with a helpful
introduction:

Driver, S. R. [1892] 1998. A Treatise on the Use of the Tenses in Hebrew
and Some Other Syntactical Questions. 3d ed. Oxford: Clarendon, 1892.
Reprint, with an introductory essay by W. Randall Garr. Grand Rapids:
Eerdmans / Livonia.: Dove.

The following categories are often blurred, but FWIW, here's a sampling
of the main contenders:

Tense theories:

Blake, Frank R.1951. A Resurvey of Hebrew Tenses. Scripta Pontificii
Instituti Biblici, vol 103. Rome: Pontifical Biblical Institute.

Revell, E. J. “The System of the Verb in Standard Biblical Prose."
Hebrew Union College Annual 60 (1989): 1–37.

Zevit, Ziony Talking funny in biblical "Henglish" and solving a problem
of the yaqtul past tense. Hebrew-Studies. 29 1988, p 25-33.

Peckham, Brian. 1997. "Tense and Mood in Biblical Hebrew." Zeitschrift
für Althebraistik 10.139-68.

Modal theories,

Zuber, Beat. 1986. Das Tempussystem des biblischen Hebräisch: Eine
Untersuchung dem Text. [The tense system of Biblical Hebrew: an
investigation into the text.] (Beiheft zur Zeitschrift für die
alttestamentliche Wissenschaft, 164.)Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.

Joosten, Jan. 1997. The Indicative System of the Biblical Hebrew Verb
and its Literary Exploitation. In Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible.
Edited by E. Van Wolde. Leiden: E. J. Brill. 51-71. Also,
Joosten, Jan. 1999. The Long Form of the Prefixed Conjugation Referring
to the Past in Biblical Hebrew Prose. Hebrew Studies 40: 15-26.

DeCaen, Vincent J. “On the Placement and Interpretation of the Verb in
Standard Biblical Hebrew Prose.” Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation,
University of Toronto, 1995. Also,
DeCaen, Vincent J. 1999. A unified Analysis of Verbal and Verbless
Clauses within Government-Binding Theory. In The Verbless Clause in
Biblical Hebrew: Linguistic Approaches. Edited by C. L. Miller. Winona
Lake, Ind. Eisenbrauns, 109–31.

Hatav, Galia. The Semantics of Aspect and Modality: Evidence from
English and Biblical Hebrew. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1997.

Sequentiality theories,

Gropp, Douglas M. “The Function of the Finite Verb in Classical Biblical
Hebrew.” Hebrew Annual Review 13 (1991): :45–62.

Buth, Randall. 1992. The Hebrew Verb in Current Discussion. Journal of
Translation and Textlinguistics 5:91-105.

Gentry, Peter J. 1998. The System of the Finite Verb in Classical
Biblical Hebrew. Hebrew Studies 39:7-39.

Discourse theories,

Niccacci, Alviero. The Syntax of the Verb in Classical Hebrew Prose.
Translated by W. G. E. Watson. JSOTSup 86. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
Press, 1990.

Longacre, R. E. “Discourse Perspective on the Hebrew Verb: Affirmation
and Restatement.” Pages 177–89 in Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew.
Edited by Walter R. Bodine. Winona Lake, Indiana: Eisenbrauns, 1992.

Eskhult, Mats. 1990. Studies in Verbal Aspect and Narrative Technique in
Biblical Hebrew Prose. Studia Semitica Upsaliensia, vol. 12. Uppsala:
Almqvist & Wiksell.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. (cand.), Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada