b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:59:29 -0500

For me, the points served the same function as the
analytical lexicon which I had but which fell apart
so I no longer have it: to remind me of grammatical
lessons that I had forgotten. I used points for
over 20 years. I wouldn’t know when to disagree
with them had I not learned from them. Already
before getting an electronic, unpointed text, I
took to the practice of reading Tanakh with a card
covering the points (I was using a paper Tanakh
from Qoren). I don’t remember the last time I
checked points. I have not checked them for at
least the last few years.

As for the font I use, it is specifically geared
towards the Online Bible program, it is not
unicode. If I had my druthers, I would have it in a
unicode “Phoenecian” font, connected to a text in
the ancient Hebrew font that the Phoenecians took
over, namely with only 22 letters. Does anyone know
of any open source program that will create unicode
fonts? The commercial programs cost $100s, not
worth it for only one or two fonts. I can recompile
my non-unicode font for Windows: but with Online
Bible using an Aramaic font that is widely
recognized, would anybody want mine?

Concerning the analytical lexicon: I discourage its
use in Hebrew classes, but for after classes and
for the autodictat, I would prefer to have people
using it and reading Tanakh 15 minutes a day, than
to have them get so frustrated about not being able
to find words that they don’t even open the tome.
Does anyone disagree with this?

Karl W. Randolph.