b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 04:22:47 -0800

On 22/02/2004 21:27, Karl Randolph wrote:

Dear Johathan:

One resource is http://www.onlinebible.org . It has texts that are both
pointed and unpointed. What you would want to download is BHS, which is the
unpointed text.

If you get Online Bible, I would highly recommend that you get a Macintosh if
you do not already have one, as it displays well on the Macintosh, but not
Windows. Even a really old Macintosh, just for using with Online Bible, is
preferable to Windows. We were able to pick up even an old notebook, a 165C,
that was being thrown away, for free, that can be used with Online Bible. It
even runs on a Mac SE that has been upgraded to 4 MB RAM and OS 7.5, though
much, much more powerful Macintoshes are being thrown away now. I also have a
dictionary that is in MacWrite format that can be used with it, though I
consider the dictionary as unfinished business at the present time.

Karl W. Randolph.

There is no need to pay for a Macintosh, or even to find a free one, just in order to display the Hebrew text correctly. There are a number of sites from which the Hebrew Bible text can be downloaded free, in a form which can be read adequately with free fonts on Windows. See for example http://www.mechon-mamre.org/ and, recently announced on this list, http://users.ntplx.net/~kimball/Tanach/Tanach.zip. These are pointed texts, but there are ways of removing the pointing if you really want to.

By the way, the BHS is not the unpointed text, and if Online Bible is distributing an online text and calling it "BHS" they may well be in breach of copyright.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)