b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resources for learning Paleo-Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:11:46 -0500

Peter:

Maybe you do not want to view an unpointed text, but others may. After all,
the points are not canonical, they just represent a tradition as it existed
at the time of the Masorites, a tradition that may or may not be accurate
according to original intent.

The reason that I started reading an unpointed text is because I found the
points a distraction. There are enough times that I disagree with the points
that I do not like them there, and for the vast majority of the time that I
agree with them, I found they unnecessarily cluttered up the page. Hence I
prefer to read an unpointed text. And for fun, I use a pre-exilic (Hebrew,
not Aramaic) font.

(I did not catalog the times I disagree with the points, after all, I was
just reading, not making a scholarly work.)

There are times I found that the points make the text complex, sometimes
unintelligeable, but with a change in points of a key word or two, a simple,
easily understood passage consistent with its context would leap out.

Karl W. Randolph.