b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:43:04 -0500

Isn’t there evidence for more changes than just these listed?

For example, the ‘tet’ (between chet and yod) had the same form and position
in the alphabet as the theta in Greek. Did the Greek change it to the theta
sound, or did Hebrew, under the influence of Aramaic, lose the theta sound?
From what I know of linguistic sound shifts and how they show up in writing,
I think the latter is more likely.

As for the ‘sameck’, there is evidence that it originally had an English “x”
sound, at least in Ezra and Nehemiah. It can be seen in the transliteration
of the Persion name Ataxerxes. In the transliteration into Aramaic, it
appears that Aramaic had already lost the sound, and apparently in a
generation or two afterwards, Hebrew did too.

I think it is pretty obvious that sin and shin were originally one letter.
The first evidence is in Hebrew poetry, where the now two letters were
treated as one letter. Secondly, I noticed that sometimes a lexeme is spelled
two different ways in Tanakh, one way with a sin, a second with a shin.
Third, I noticed that lexemes that share a common root would sometimes be
split, e.g. ‘sham’ (there, that place) from the same root as ‘sim’ (to place)
(‘shem’ (name) could be from the same root, as in placing a person by his
name).

The New Testament shows that there was another pronunciation shift going on
at that time. It was not completed yet, e.g. Capernaum (K’far Nahum) and
Nazaret (Nazareth) where non-fricative consonants were being divided into
fricative and non-fricative versions. The evidence for this change was
preserved in the Byzantine tradition of the New Testament, but mostly lost in
the Coptic tradition of Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and other surviving early
versions. Again, based on what I know of pronunciation shift, the
non-fricative pronunciation appears to be the original.

Where the spelling for a language is fluid, it is seldom that letters change
their pronunciations and any language shift can be traced by spelling
changes. After the Galut Babel, Hebrew, like Latin in the Middle Ages, had
its spelling frozen causing changes in pronunciation to force changes in
letter pronunciation. Thus it will be difficult to prove the pronunciation
changes based on fairly rare transliterations.

As for vowels, the utter lack of them in Biblical Hebrew leaves the whole
question wide open.

Karl W. Randolph.