b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:47:57 -0800

On 18/02/2004 22:44, Yigal Levin wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>

VAV? In Biblical times????

JK

OK, Waw. Digamma. As long as we all know what we're talking about.

Yigal

Vav, or more completely HEBREW LETTER VAV, is the internationally recognised name of the letter in question, as standardised in ISO 10646. Yigal was identifying the letter, not discussing its pronunciation.

To go back to the subject of vowel reduction, this topic is covered (in a highly technical manner) in Henry Churchyard's thesis, available online via http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)