b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:44:17 -0500

Not quite, since the modern Israeli pronunciation is based on the Sefardic
tradition of pronouncing the Masora, which already has the sheva. So the
shift must have occured before the formulation of what became the tiberian
masora. What most Israelis would do in day-to-day speech, however, is not
pronounce the "mobile sheva", in other words say "Shmuel" and not
"Sh'muel". However if asked to speak clearly and "correctly", they would
say "Sh'muel".

Yigal