b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:21:24 +0100

Hi all,

I studied a little Hebrew at University and I remember the teacher telling us that the Hebrew name for Mary was pronounced "Maryam" in biblical times (both for Moses' sister and Jesus' mother) and "Miryam" in later Hebrew. Also Samuel was pronounced "Samuel" in those times and "Semuel" in later Hebrew.
I admit I'm not sure to remember this accurately. I'd like to ask you if this is so, and also which other examples of important characters from the Bible you could mention.

Thanks in advance!

Sergio (Madrid)

¿Todavía no conoces el nuevo MSN Messenger? Descárgatelo gratis aquí. http://messenger.microsoft.com/es