b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:10:04 -0800

On 19/01/2004 06:22, Ken Penner wrote:

I guess I don't understand why someone who (1) has the technology to use the
Unicode characters Peter suggested, and (2) is familiar enough with Tiberian
phonology and orthography to appreciate your system would use
transliteration rather than Hebrew script.

Good questions, Ken. I can't answer for Trevor, but from my point of view I was thinking of:

1) Users (e.g. of Windows 98, Mac even in the latest versions) who have the technology for LTR Unicode characters, but not for Hebrew;

2) Users who have basic familiarity with Hebrew script but find it easier to work with transliterated texts;

3) Mixed audiences, some of whom are familiar with Hebrew script and so can appreciate the fine points of this transliteration, others of whom are not familiar with it and so can be advised to ignore dots, subscripts etc.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)