b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:38:57 -0500

Al:

Sorry, I can’t help you much. I am not a scholar with access to a lot of
different dictionaries that scholars have written, rather all I’ve done is to
read Tanakh a few times over the last several years. The dictionary I use is
one that I wrote myself. I know what went into the production thereof, and I
find it generally more trustworthy than the dictionaries I have seen written
by others. However, I consider it still a work in progress. It is keyed to
the Online Bible unpointed text that works far better on the Macintosh than
it does on Windows. (It’s wierd, a Macintosh of 15 years ago, like a Mac SE,
shows up the Hebrew text for Online Bible better than the latest version of
Windows.)

Many years ago, I got a copy of the Lisowsky concordance to the Hebrew Old
Testament. In general I found that his definitions were more to the point and
more accurate than Gesenius/BDB, though his main purpose was to indicate the
places where words are found in Tanakh. Lisowsky, however, was a German, and
a few times I found that his German definition was correct, while he had
chosen the wrong word from his dictionary to indicate the English definition.
Another weakness of Lisowsky’s is that he generally did not give frequencies
for other than nouns and verbs.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.