b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rasmus Underbjerg Pinnerup <pinnerup AT privat.dk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:19:36 -0800

On 19/01/2004 00:19, Rasmus Underbjerg Pinnerup wrote:

Dear Trevor and list-members

At 03:15 19-01-2004, you wrote:

You're right, there is. I'm not sure what to do about it. My inclination
is to mark consonantal lengthening by some means other than writing the
consonant doubled, but I'm not sure what it would be.

Why not simply mark the mobile shewas with a superscript like the matres, giving them the same air of "letters that are written but may not have been pronounced"?

Good idea. I would suggest a superscript schwa, U+1D4A. That is at least someone's standard.

Could you explain this a bit more? As I say, I got ae from
Saenz-Badillos. The IPA epsilon is another option--my choice of ae was
mostly for mechanical reasons, since it's an easy symbol to use in
LaTeX.

The letter "æ" in Danish and Norwegian regularly stands for the open e sound of IPA epsilon and therefore is also used in our Hebrew translitteration to translitterate the sægol, compared to "e" for tsere. Thus "road" is »dærækh« and "book" is »sephær«.

But IPA æ is a rather different sound, in English more like a in "man" than e in "men". But the distinction in English depends on dialect.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)