b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:43:35 -0400

While taking a quick look at the document:
"Issues in the Representation of Pointed Hebrew in Unicode (3rd draft)",
on Peter Kirk’s web site,
http://www.qaya.org/
I discovered that at Genesis 3:14 in the BHS,
the Tetragrammaton is shown just as it is shown in Hebrew word #3068,
of James Strong's Concordance.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/hebrewword3068.jpg
At Ezekiel 12:25 [in the BHS Text],
a variant of this form is found,
which looks almost identical to Hebrew word #3068,
until you examine it under a magnifying glass.
Under a magnifying glass,
it can be observed that there is a diamond shaped cantillation mark,
[Revia ??]
not a holem,
above the waw/vav
At Exodus 6:3 [in the BHS Text]
another variant of YHWH is found,
in which no holem is found above the waw/vav,
yet there is a qamets under the waw/vav,
and a simple shewa under the yod.
I have chosen only to present the above three variants,
while ignoring the variants of YHWH found in the BHS Text,
when YHWH immediately follows Adonay,
or
when YHWH immediately precedes Adonay.
The question I am asking is:
Are there any Hebrew scholars who have examined the Leningrad Codex,
and believe that the Leningrad Codex has been tampered with,
at any of the above three mentioned variants?
Dave Donnelly