b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:54:11 -0500

Dear Bryan:

I was looking at verses like Ezekiel 7:26 where all the other items listed
were spoken, implying that HWH is also spoken. Psalm 38:13 indicates that
people speak HWWT. Psalm 91:3 talks about those who speak rumors. Also
Proverbs 17:4 talks about hypocritical lips and rumor mongoring tongue. In
Job 6:30 Job questions if there is injustice in his tongue and his palate
understands rumor.

My dictionary lists HWH as being “rumor, gossip, idle words that destroy”.

The verbal form is normally listed as “to become”. However “to report” or “to
spread a rumor” seems to be a perfectly acceptable reading of Nehemiah 6:6,
and the concept of reporting is not out of line for Genesis 27:29 and Qohelet
2:22.

Where does “love” come in?

“To fall” is used twice, but both times it is written as HW) ending with an
alep, not a hey. I doubt it should be listed under the same root.

My conclusion from the above verses is that a report is being spoken about,
but, just as BC( betse‘e has the meaning of “cut” as in share of profit and
is used in the positive sense (Genesis 27:26) but most often in the negative
sense as shown by the contexts, so HWH has the meaning of report, but the
contexts shows that most often it is used in the negative sense as a rumor.

There is a total of about 20 times that HWH is used in Tenakh either as a
verb or a noun.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.