b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:01:32 -0400

Hi Karl,

I don't think that HWH has the meaning of rumor either verbally or in derived
nouns. Forms of havvah (destruction) or havoah (disaster) are sometimes
found in poetic contexts that include evil talk, but that is only
coincidental/anecdotal. The lexicons I have assign the glosses 1. fall, 2.
become, 3. love. Noun forms include havvah, capriciousness; havvah,
destruction; and havoah, disaster.

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

ph: 315.437.6744
fx: 315.437.6766

You wrote:

Similarly, there is attestation of the root HWH, mostly in the form of its
derivitive nouns. In the negative sense, it has the meaning of rumor, though
that may also be positive. So could the etymology of the name YHWH have the
concept of the God who communicates with people? HWH seems to have the
meaning of "to spread a rumor, to communicate".