b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:56:27 -0500

John:

My answer is sort of thinking out loud.

So you have had one year of basic Hebrew? How much of the Tenakh (Hebrew Old
Testament) have you read in Hebrew? You are reading it through cover to
cover, aren’t you? Like you, I had only one year of basic Biblical Hebrew,
that’s why it took me four years to read Tenakh the first time cover to
cover. So you are doing the same, right?

The stated “etymology” of a name may not be from the root we expect. For
example, the popular understanding of the name “Samuel” has it connected with
$M( “to listen” because Hannah his mother asked for him (1 Sam. 1:20). But
once we remove those pesky dots, the root more closely fits the root $YM “to
place” so that the name Samuel has the meaning of “God placed him”.

Similarly, there is attestation of the root HWH, mostly in the form of its
derivitive nouns. In the negative sense, it has the meaning of rumor, though
that may also be positive. So could the etymology of the name YHWH have the
concept of the God who communicates with people? HWH seems to have the
meaning of “to spread a rumor, to communicate”.

Thus it appears that YHWH comes from a Qal root.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.