b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:26:42 -0400

Hi John,

Hiphil yiqtol (or imperfect) of HWH would be yahweh like the analogous yarbeh
(he will multiply, Exo 30:15). Hiphil yiqtol of HWH is indeed unattested in
the Hebrew Bible.

Neither the roots HYH nor its cognate HWH is always stative, so a hiphil of
HWH is conceivable, meaning "call into existence." Yahweh would mean "he
calls (will call) into existence."

To me, the derivation of YHWH is controversial, so that I advise viewing all
claims with reservation.

Shalom,

Bryan

B. M. Rocine