b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:47:07 -0400

Hi Karl, you wrote:

> My dictionary lists HWH as being "rumor, gossip, idle words that destroy".

What dictionary is that? Neither my BDB nor my HALOT says anything about
rumors. I am aware of the contexts from which you are getting the rumor
idea. As I said, it seems to me that the location of hwh inside contexts
about evil talk is anecdotal rather than conclusive proof of hwh's semantic
range.

Take Eze 7:26 as a for instance: hovah needs not mean shmu`ah any more than
"wars" means "rumors of wars." The collocation of hovah and shmu`ah means
nothing in and of itself.

> Where does "love" come in?

It is a hypothetical root with the Arabic cognate hawiya meaning love. It
supposedly gives us the construct state noun havat in Mic 7:3, Pro 10:3, and
11:6 meaning capriciousness or desire. So says HALOT.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church