b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:24:17 -0500

Dear Bryan:

“My dictionary” is one that I wrote, though not published. I actually started
it while yet in college, though at the time all it was notes in the margins
of BDB or Gesenius. I had studied four languages before I learned any Hebrew,
at least two of them fairly fluently. Then when I looked at the meanings
given in Gesenius/BDB, they often violated what I had learned how languages
act. The emphasis for me is not on how best to translate words, but how they
best fit in the original language. That fits with my desire to learn ancient
Hebrew as a native, not a translator (as far as it is possible). I later
transferred and expanded my notes in the margins of Lisowski’s concordance,
where I’d often look up every use of a word to try to get a handle on its
meaning.

One of the central lessons I learned in other languages is that words don’t
have several meanings, rather only one. Some words have broad meanings, for
example in English “put” has a very broad meaning, while “install” a narrow
one, a small subset of the meaning in “put”. Similarly, when learning foreign
languages, one way to learn word meanings is to compare synonyms and
occasionally contrast antonyms, to recognize the breadth of meaning contained
in words. Gesenius/BDB failed on both counts above, and I had not heard of
Halot before. When I saw one entry used only four times in Tenakh (I don’t
remember which one, that was over a decade ago) being given five definitions
in Gesenius/BDB, I remember being rather disgusted with such sloppy
lexicography.

In writing my notes, I go through the occurances of a word, looking for a
unified meaning, if possible. Sometimes it is not possible, for example
Esther 2:1 has GZR as an Aramaic loan word, while the Hebrew meaning is, as
close as I can recognize, to sever. There are a few other words where two
separate meanings can be discerned, but such are rare in Tenakh.

I am very cautious about using cognate languages, except where context fails
to give an indication of a word’s meaning, such as many hapax legomai words.
The same is true of early translations.

Now back to HWH, as a noun, appears to have a meaning connected with
vocalization in communication. In my last missive I mentioned several cases
where the vocalization part of the meaning seems to be clear. I don’t know of
any occurance where a vocalization is linguistically counterindicated. In
most of its occurances, it appears to be a negative vocalization, such as
rumors. Hence my understanding of the word as “rumor, gossip, idle words that
destroy”. The verb seems to follow the same meaning. It is one of the many
subsets of DBR.

Is my methodology wrong? Why? I have found it works for all other languages I
have studied, why not also for Biblical Hebrew? I still have a lot of
questions whether I understand words correctly and I expect that I
misunderstand at least some words. On the whole, I expect my definitions to
be more accurate than Gesenius/BDB or anyone who follows their methodology.

Karl W. Randolph.