b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] from evening to evening (was Genesis 1:5)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] from evening to evening (was Genesis 1:5)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:01:43 -0400

Jewish tradition has always understood this to mean that a "day" begins at
sundown and ends the following sundown. This is true for the Sabbath
(Friday at sundown to Saturday after dark) and any other date. Also Lev.
23:32, when referring the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) commands: "It shall
be to you a sabbath of complete rest, and you shall afflict your souls; on
the ninth day of the month at evening, from evening to evening you shall
keep your sabbath."

Yigal