b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Frank Polak <frankha AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:15:09 +0300

I n my view the cardinal )xd serves as ordinal (the ordinal for 'first' varies extremely in all semitic languages, in sharp contrast with the toher ordinals and the rather fixed mode of the cardinals). My reference is to:
S. E. Loewenstamm, “The Development of the Term “First” in the Semitic Languages,” Comparative Studies in Biblical and Ancient Oriental Literatures
(AOAT 204; Kevelaer: Butzon & Bercker; Neukirchen-Vluyn: Neukirchener Verlag, 1980), pp. 13-16.
Loewenstamm notes that [a] in the string ‘the first day, the second day’ Ugaritic [Kirta epic] has ‘ym wTHn’, without the first ordinal; [b] for the phrase ‘on the seventh day’ Ugaritic uses the cardinal ‘mk b$b( ym’ [order being indicated by the cardinal].
Hence the phrasing of Gen 1.5 is an instance of poetic language in Gen.1. For those interested, the view of the Creation Account as a prosaic revision of a hymn is urged in my paper “Poetic Style and Parallelism in the Creation Account (Gen. 1.1-2.3),” in: Creation in Jewish and Christian Tradition (ed. H. Reventlow and Y. Hoffman; JSOTSup 319; London: Sheffield Academic Press, 2002) 2-31.
Frank Polak