b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:52:46 -0700

On 25/07/2003 07:45, Rob Matlack wrote:

Peter,

In English or Hebrew why would the non-consecutive vav with the perfect or
"now he had
believed" imply that he had stopped believing?

Rob Matlack united_by_truth AT myrealbox.com
Stilwell, OK
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone
for
salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its
behalf."--Blaise Pascal

The Hebrew does not imply this.

In English, how about "Now he had believed his friends would always help him out, but when he really needed them they didn't want to know." To me this implies that he no longer believed. Don't you agree? Of course the context in Genesis is a bit different, but I can see preachers taking v.8 as an indication that he had stopped believing. Of course that is not what the Hebrew means.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com