b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: waldo slusher <waldoslusher AT yahoo.com>, B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:07:27 -0700

On 7/24/03 11:16 AM, "waldo slusher" <waldoslusher AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> A recent article I read indicates that the phrase at
> the end of this verse, "day one", by virtue of the
> fact that "one" lacks the definite article, makes it a
> Cardinal number.

Bruce Waltke & M. O'Connor page 274:

"The indefinite noun plus )xd has a definite sense in the opening chapter of
Genesis: ywm )xd 'the first day' (Gen. 1:5); this pattern is found nowhere
else-- even the rest of the account uses indefinite nouns with ordinal
numbers (Gen 1:8,13, etc.)."

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew