b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: waldo slusher <waldoslusher AT yahoo.com>
  • To: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

A recent article I read indicates that the phrase at
the end of this verse, "day one", by virtue of the
fact that "one" lacks the definite article, makes it a
Cardinal number. The phrase should read, he concludes,

"There was night and then there was day, one day."

Is this grammatical point open to dispute, or can one
work from this grammatical arrangement to conclude
that "one day" or "day one" is the correct
translation?

(For some reason, in that day six was the conclusion
of G-d's creating work, the Ordinal construct (with
the definite article) is used. I didn't follow that
point.) Apparently, except for "the sixth day," all
other are Cardinal.

=====
Waldo Slusher
Calgary, AB