b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:53:15 -0500

“First” is a strange word in every language that I know, with connotations
beyond just the numerical value. Furthermore, I know of no language where
“first” is based on “one”. Not all languages allow the cardinal to take the
place of the ordinal (e.g. English, though even here “day one” followed by
“second…” and “third…” and so forth is acceptable). (Chinese, which as far as
I know has no ordinal numbers, still has a word for “first”.)

Therefore, the use of “one” in the place of “first” in Genesis 1:5 emphasizes
that it was the first numerically, not in importance or other factor.

Karl W. Randolph.