b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:02:08 -0700

I received the following from a contact in Israel:

Vav Holam may convey two meanings, either just a vowel or a consonant Vav
with the vowel Holam.
Some typographers differentiate these two meaning, many do not. I don't now
if there is any Masoretic basis for the distinction or if it is late, and
whether it is consistently used in those texts that do make the distinction.

I don't know either. Can someone answer this? There is a typographical distinction in the printed BHS (and an encoding distinction in the Michigan-Claremont-Westminster text. But is there actually a distinction in original MSS like L and Aleppo?

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com